How to use eye drops
Seven steps to getting the best results from your eye drop medications:
- Wash your hands thoroughly.
- Sit down, tilt your head back, and look up toward your forehead.
- With the index finger of one hand, pull down the lower eyelid to make a pocket for the drop.
- Hold the bottle over the eye between the thumb and index finger of the other hand. Point the tip of the bottle down at a slight angle.
- Carefully squeeze the bottle to release a single drop into your eye. Use the number of drops that your doctor has prescribed.
- After administering the drops, close your eyes for a few moments to help distribute the medicine evenly.
- Sometimes eye drops may drip down the tear duct into the throat. If this bothers you, use your index finger to apply pressure of the inner corner of your eye for a few seconds after you have used the drops.
Don’t skip doses!
It’s important to follow the eye drop schedule your doctor has given you as closely as possible!
Don’t forget to refill the eye drop prescriptions so you can continue to take them as your doctor ordered!